Cesspool failing into a water body in 2012

Do You Need To Replace A Cesspool or Repair A Septic System??

If you have a failing conventional septic system (tank and leach field) or have a cesspool, you will need to submit an application to the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management (RIDEM) for an On-Site Wastewater Treatment System Repair. 

A Fact Sheet published by the RIDEM describes the process for submitting an Application for Repair. The fact sheet can be found here

The Application for Repair Checklist can be found here

And a list of RIDEM-licensed septic system designers can be found here

The Town Office of Wastewater Management will be copied by RIDEM on all application submittals, approvals and/or denials.

The failing cesspool shown above was significantly impacting a surface water body with sewage. This cesspool was one of over 100 cesspools and failing septic systems that have been replaced using the Town's low interest loan program. Don't forget to look into this great funding source here: Charlestown Community Septic System Loan Program